Vegetable Hyderabadi Biryani
Fragrant Biryani for Vegetarians
Basmati Rice 350 gms.
Potatoes 75 gms.
Carrots 75 gms.
Cauliflower 75 gms.
Green Beans 75 gms.
Cashewnuts 50 gms.
Almonds 50 gms.
Raisins 25 gms.
Glazed Cherries 25 gms.
Onions 100 gms.
Green Chilies 8 nos.
Ginger 50 gms.
Garlic 20 gms.
Turmeric Pdr. ½ tsp.
Red Chili Pdr. 1 tsp.
Curd 1 cup.
Saffron 1 tsp.
Milk 2 tbsp.
Mint Leaves ¾ cup
Coriander Leaves 1/3 cup
Rose Water as required
Ghee 120 gms.
Salt to taste
Green Cardamoms 6 nos.
Black Cardamoms 2 nos.
Cloves 6 nos.
Cinnamon 2" piece
Bay Leaves 2 nos.
Mace a pinch
- Pick, wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Clean in fresh water and add half the whole garam masala and salt.
- Bring the rice to a boil and cook until the rice is almost done.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes,beans and carrots in baton shapes and cut the flowerettes of the Cauliflower.
- Peel, wash and slice the onions and slit the green chilies in half lengthwise.
- Scrape the ginger and cut into juliennes and peel the garlic and chop into pieces.
- Clean, wash and chop the coriander and mint leaves.
- Soak the almonds in water, peel and keep aside.
- Beat the curd in a bowl and divide into two equal portions.
- Dissolve saffron in warm milk and add it to one portion of the curd mixture.
- Heat ghee in a handi, add the remaining garam masala and saute over medium heat until it begins to crackle.
- Add onions, saute until golden brown, add green chilies, ginger,garlic and saute for a minute.
- Then add turmeric and chili powder, stir, add the cut vegetables stir for a minute.
- Add the portion of plain curd, stir, add 2/3 cup water, and bring to a boil, then simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- Once the vegetables are done add the dry fruits and nuts.
- In the handi with the cooked vegetables, sprinkle little saffron curd, mint and coriander.
- Then spread half the rice and again sprinkle the remaining saffron-curd, mint and coriander and top it with the remaining rice.
- Place a moist cloth on top, cover the lid and seal with atta-dough.
- Put the sealed handi on dum in a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita.
Jump to: Top of Page.