Shalgam ka Achar
Turnips 2½ Kg.
Mustard seeds 120 gms.
Red Chilles 120 gms.
Cloves 15 gms.
Black Cardamom 6 gms.
Garlic 60 gms.
Ginger 30 gms.
Vinegar 750 ml.
Jaggery 750 gms.
Mustard Oil 500 ml.
Tartaric Acid 2-3 gms.
Salt to taste
- Grind each of the spices seperately.
- Mix them with Vinegar and heat the mixture.
- Make a thick syrup of the jaggery and add it to the vinegar mixture.
- Keep in the sun for 7 days.
- Wash and clean the turnips and cut them in roundals.
- Boil the slices in tartaric acid water for 5 minutes, drain and wipe them dry.
- Put the turnips in the vinegar mixture and keep for 3 days.
- Heat the oil and fry whole cloves of Garlic and whole red chillies.
- When brown, cool the oil and strain and pour over the pickle.
- Put out in sun for 4 days.
This pickle will last for a year
Jump to: Top of Page.