Chawal ki Kheer/Milk Payasam
Whole Milk 2 Quarts/1.9 Liters
(Preferably Basmati) 130 gms
Green Cardamom ½ tsp.
Saffron ½ tsp.
Sugar 240 gms.
Raisins 50 gms.
Cashewnuts Broken 50 gms.
Pistachio slivers 2 tblspn.
- In a heavy saucepan boil the milk, stirring constantly. Add the saffron to the boiling milk..
- When the milk boils, simmer for about 5 minutes and add the washed and picked rice.
- Simmer on a slow heat till the rice is cooked. Stir constantly.
- This takes about 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar,raisins and the cashewnuts and turn the heat down until the kheer is thick.
- Remove from the heat and cool the kheer so that it thickens further.
- Can be served HOT or COLD. Serve garnished with pistachio slivers.
Jump to: Top of Page.