The traditional North Indian Tandoori bread
flour 3 cups (600 g)
wheat flour 1 cup (200 g)
salt 1 1/2 tsp (7 g)
sugar 1 tbs (15 g)
yogurt 4 tbs (60 ml)
fresh yeast 25 g(mix in warm water)
warm water as required
sesame seeds(optional) 10 gms
butter as required
- Mix flour, wheat flour, salt, sugar and yogurt well.
- Incorporate yeast into it. Mix well.
- Add enough water to knead to a smooth but non sticky dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Knead again and cover with a cloth.
- Make about 12 balls from it.
- Keep in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes to rise.
- Roll 1.5 cm thick roundals.
- Stick inside the lid of a hot tandoor and bake for about five minutes.
- Note Optional:Sprinkle the sesame seeds on the balls before rolling out.
- Makes about 12 Naans, takes 1 ½ hour.
Jump to: Top of Page.