A famous Gram flour dish from Panjab
Yoghurt(1 day old) 500 gms / 2 cups
Besan(Gram Flour) 90 gms./ 3 Oz.
Red Chilli Pdr. 3 gms./ 1 tsp.
Haldi(turmeric pdr.) 1.5 gms/ 1/2 tsp
Desi Ghee 50 gms/ 1/4 cup
Methi Dana(Fenugreek) 1 gm/ 1/4 tsp
Potatoes(roundals) 200 gms
Onions (roundals) 150 gms
Besan (gram flour) 100 gms/ 3 Oz.
Shred Spinach 300 gms/11 oz.
Soda bi carb A Pinch
Salt To Taste
Dhania(Coriander Pound) 2 gm/ 1 tsp
Ajwain 1.25 gm/ 1/2 tsp.
Ginger Chopped 10 gm/ 1" piece
Green Chili chopped 4
oil to fry
Desi Ghee 75 gms/ 6 tblspn
Jeera(Cumin seeds) 2 gm/ 1 tsp.
Dhania(coriander) 1 gm/ 1/2 tsp.
Rai(mustard seeds) 2.25 gm/1/2 tsp.
Hing(asafoetida) A Pinch
whole red chilies 4
Red Chili Pdr 1.5 gm/ 1/2tsp
- Whisk Yoghurt in a bowl, add besan, red chilies, turmeric and salt and whisk to mix well.
- Then add 1.2 lt./ 5 cups of water and whisk again (to get a kadhi of better consistency, forget about yogurt. Instead , use 1.7 liter/ 7 cups of Chaas/ Butter milk).
- Mix all the ingredients, add water (approx.. 45 ml/ 3 tblspn) and mix well.
- Heat Oil in a Kadai/ Wok, mentally divide the batter into 20 equal portions, make dumplings and deep fry over medium heat until golden.
- Remove to absorbent paper to drain the excess fat.
- Heat Ghee in a handi/ pan, add fenugreek seeds and stir over the medium heat until they begin to pop.
- Add yogurt mixture and bring to boil, stirring occasionally, until a thin sauce consistency. Then add potato roundels, bring to boil, reduce to low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are cooked.
- Now add the pakoras and the onion roundels, bring to boil, reduce to low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally but carefully, until the Kadhi thickens.
- Remove and adjust the seasoning.
- To prepare the tempering, heat ghee in a frying pan, add the cumin, coriander and mustard seeds, stir over medium heat until they begin to pop.
- Then add the asafetida and stir until it puffs up, add whole red chilies and stir until they change color. Now add the chili powder, stir and pour over the Kadhi.
- To Serve: Remove to a bowl and serve with white rice.
Jump to: Top of Page.