Try something new...
Finely minced lean lamb 2lb
Fennel Powder 3 tsp.
Ginger powder 11/2 tsp.
Cayenne powder 1` tsp.
Black Cardamoms 6
Oil 1 tbs.
salt to taste
Egg 1 nos.
Plain Yogurt 5 no. tbs.
Oil 6 tbs.
Cloves 8 nos.
Cinnamon Stick 2 inch
Chopped Tomatoes 4 small
Tomatoes Paste 1 tbs.
Chilly Powder 2 tbs.
Ginger Powder 1 tsp.
Salt To taste
- To make a kebabs, mince or process the lamb once more until it is very fine.
- Mix the fennel and ginger powders. Remove the seeds from the cardamoms and pound until crushed.
- Mix all the spices with the minced lamb in a bowl.Add the oil,salt to taste and egg and mix well.
- Keep a bowl of warm water handy to dip your hands into when making kebabs.
- Take a handful of the minced meat,about the size of a lime,and roll it to a 3 inch sausage.
- Place on a flat dish or tray.You will get about 30 kebabs which,when cooked,will shrink to a 2 inch length.
- To make the gravy,whisk the yogurt and set aside.
- Take a cooking pot with a diameter at least 10-12 inch it can be a shallow one-into which the kebabs will fit without breaking.
- Heat the oil in the pot over a low heat.Add the cloves and cinnamon first,then after a minute or so add the tomatoes.
- Fry until the liquid from the tomatoes has almost evaporated.stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the chili powder or cayenne pepper and fry for a minute, then put in a yogurt.
- Stir continuously to prevent the yogurt from curdling.Add the fennel and ginger powder,season and cook for 5 minutes stirring all the time.
- Add 5 cups hot water and bring to the boil.
- Very gently lay in the kebabs one at a time.
- Leave to cook for about 20 minutes over a low heat.A lot of the water will be absorbed by the kebabs.
- Do not stir once the kebabs are put into the pot .
- If the gravy needs to be stirred,hold both sides of the pot and rock it gently.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary,mixing it first with water and pouring it into the pan in various places.You will know when the dish is totally ready as oil will rise to the top of the gravy.
- If the kebab curry is to be reheated before serving,remove from the heat just as the oil begins to rise to the surface and set aside.Then reheat gently for 5-7 minutes,before serving.
- If the minced is fatty and the curry oily,add 2 eggs instead of 1 egg ,and when the kebabs are made up, steam them for 10 minutes,allowing the fat to drip off before putting the kebabs into pot.
Jump to: Top of Page.