A zesty lentil broth from Tamil Nadu
Toor Dal 3 tbs.
Ginger 3-4 pieces
Turmeric Pdr ¼ tsp
Mustard Seeds ½ tsp
Cumin Seeds ½ tsp
Black peppercorn 1 tbs.
Copra 3 tsp (grated )
Jaggery 1 tbs. (powder)
Curry leaves 20
Green Chilli 2 no
salt to taste
water 1 cup 11/2 cups (extra)
Coriander leaves chopped
Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
Oil 2 tsp
Asafetida Powder ½ tsp.
Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
Red Chili 1
Curry Leaves a few
- Soak the toor dal In 1 cup water for 30 minutes. Drain off water and set dal aside.
- Place the cumin seeds, black peppercorn, green chilies, ginger(peeled and grated), grated copra, and jaggery in a electric blander or food processor.
- Add the soaked dal and blend ingredients to a fine paste.
- Place in a heavy sauce pan. Add 11/2 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Bring to boil. Simmer over a low heat for 2-3 minutes, Add more water if the rasam is too thick.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida halved red chilies and a few curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add this mixture to the rasam.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves.
Jump to: Top of Page.