A typical Lucknowi chicken dish
Chicken Breasts 1 kg
Poppy Seeds 1 ½ tsp
Plain yogurt 150 ml
Ghee or butter 75 ml
Almonds blanched 60 gms
Cashewnuts 60 gms
Bayleaf 1 no
Onions chopped 2 no
Green chilli choped 3 no
Green Cardamom 2
Garlic paste 2 tsp
Ginger paste 2 tblspn
Clove 2 no
nutmeg powder ¼ tsp
mace powder ¼ tsp
salt as required
- Soak poppy seeds in ½ cup of water, drain and grind to a fine paste.
- Hang yodurt in a muslin cloth for about 1 hour, whisk in a bowl.
- Heat ghee, add almonds, cashewnuts, bayleaf and then add onions, fry till light colored.
- Add chopped chillies, cardamom and the poppy paste. Add a cup of water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Grind everything to a paste.
- To a little ghee, add ginger/garlic paste, choped chilli and a clove.
- Add the chicken. Saute till the shin is seared and then add the whisked yogurt.
- Add the ground spice mixture along with a cup of hot water.Add the salt and let the chicken cook.
- Add the nutmeg and mace powder.Serve garnished with coriander leaves and silver virk.
- If you find it bland, add pepper powder.
Jump to: Top of Page.