Potatoes and Peas...home style
baking potatoes, peeled 3 large
oil/clarified butter ½ cup
onions, chopped 2 large
garlic chopped 1 tblspn
freshly grated ginger 1 tblspn
cumin seeds ½ tsp
ground cumin 2 ½ tblspn
turmeric 1 tspn
ground coriander ½ tblspn
dried red pepper flakes ½ tblspn
tomatoes diced 3
water 2 to 3 cups
salt 1 tblspn
fresh/frozen peas 2 cups
fresh lime juice ¼ cup
fresh cilantro, chopped 1 bunch
- Cut potatoes into ½ inch cubes. Place in a bowl and rinse with cold running water until water runs clear, to remove excess starch.
- Heat ¼ cup clarified butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Ad the jeera and cook till they crackle.
- Add onions and Saute until brown.
- Add garlic and ginger, and cook just long enough to release their aromas.
- Remove from heat and add cumin pdr, turmeric, coriander, and pepper flakes. Return pan to moderate heat and cook 12 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the cubed potatoes, sear and cook on low heat.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, and salt.
- Simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until peas are heated through.
- Check the salt and spices.
- Serve immediately with basmati rice and assorted chutneys and raita.
Jump to: Top of Page