Aab is milk..Kashmiri style
Saffron Strands 2 pinch
stewing lamb,cubed 1Żlb
Shallots 4 oz.
Oil 4 tbs.
Lamb bones for stock 9 oz
Salt to taste
Cinnamon 1 No
Bay Leaf 2 Nos.
Green Cardamoms 6 Nos.
Milk 2 Pints
Single Cream 2 tbs.
Fennel Powder 1 ¼ tsp
Cumin Powder ½ tsp.
Ground White Pepper ¼ tsp.
Sugar ½ tsp
- Soak the saffron strands in 1/4 cup water.
- Soak the lamb in luke warm water for 30 minutes, until lightened in color
- Puree the peeled shallots in food processor,or grate them and fry in 2 table spoons of oil in a frying pan until golden.
- Boil the meat and bones in a cooking pot in 6 cups of water,along with 3/4 tsp.salt,the cinnamon or bay leaf,1 clove,3 cardamoms,1 cinnamon stick and the fried shallots until tender.
- Lift out the meat and set aside.strain the stock and discard the bones.
- While the meat is cooking,bring the milk to boil in another pot,with the remainingclove, cardamoms and cinnamon sticks.
- Put a wooden spoon into the pot to prevent the milk boiling over.
- Stir from time to time and keep cooking until milk reduces and thickens.
- When it is reduced by a third,remove from the heat and leave to cool.Strain.
- Add the cream and stir well.Now add the meat and 3 cups of the stock to the milk.
- Heat the remaining oil in a ladle held over a moderate heat.
- Add the fennel powder to the oil, then after 20 seconds add the cumin and pepper.
- Fry for just 10 seconds,then pour the oil mixture into the meat,add sugar and milk; season with salt to taste.
- Cook for a few minutes with lid on it to prevent tne meat form darkening.
- To serve reheat uncovered and simmer for about 2 minutes.Add the saffron just before remove from the heat.
- If you require a little 'pep' in the curry you can add a couple of slit green chili
during the last 10 minutes of the cooking time.
- Remove from stock and add to the milk mixture.
Jump to: Top of Page.